Established in 1972, the Department of Bengali has been offering undergraduate General and M.I.L courses since its inception. Major in Bengali was introduced in the session 1992-93. With a strong faculty base consisting 3 members, the department teaches its students in close proximity. All the 3 faculty members are actively engaged in research work. Some special features of the department are:
- Good results at the undergraduate level.
- Good Departmental Library.
- All the three faculty members are actively engaged in research work in the fields of Folklore, Language and Feminism.
- Started postgraduate distance education through IDOL.
- Some of the publications of some faculty members are used as reference books by undergraduate and postgraduate level students.
- Conducts Seminar Classes every week where students are encouraged to present Seminar Papers prepared under the guidance of teachers.